vendredi 14 mars 2008

Anne Wilson





Anne Wilson, Portable city, The initial presentation of this project will be in a solo exhibition at the Rhona Hoffman Gallery, Chicago, January 25 - February 2008.

''The sculpture project entitled Portable City proposes liaisons between textiles and the built environment. Comprised of a horizontal field of 48 mobile platforms, each platform holds a structure of thread or wire filament constructed of knit, crochet, or lines under tension, suspension, compression, or collapse. Elements of ancient handwork participate in new thinking about the viability of lightweight mesh structures to create temporary and portable architectures. A city is imagined of tensile networks, deflated domes, skeletal igloos, flattened tents, elevated canopies, schematic cooling towers, linear pathways, rubble from collapse, stacks and parts to rebuild. The overall field suggests a macrocosm of detailed worlds of connections where ideas and implications emerge of both usefulness and disjunction.''

Magnifique projet!
Splendid project!

Sources: Winter Sleep, Anne Wilson

1 commentaire:

Jenny Kendler a dit…

Hello,

It seems that we have many little connections, so I thought I'd drop you a note. I hope that you don't think it's rude for me to write in English, but my French is very basic.

I really like your blog a lot and love your aesthetic. I also write a blog called Wunderkammer that specifically focuses on Environmental Art. I am going to do a post soon on Tom Knowles, who I see you also did a post on! Perhaps I could quote you?

So connection number two is that Anne Wilson, who you posted about, was my professor in graduate school and the mentor for my thesis show. Not only is she a very talented artist, but she is a wonderful human being --- gentle, smart and sophisticated.

The third connection is that you have posted a link to my art website, jennykendler.com. Thank you! I am flattered...

In any case, I thought there were too many connections to ignore. If you'd like, I'd love to exchange links on our blogs. You can email me or comment on my blog environmentalartblog.com! I think we will find more connections to come...

Best,
-Jenny